Saturday, April 14, 2007

Peace?


Starbucks The Way I See It #206
Peace is more than just the absence of war. People everywhere seek an inner peace that comes from the human rights to voice their views, choose their leaders, feed their families and raise healthy children. -- Jimmy Carter, Nobel Peace Prize laureate, former U.S. president and founder of The Carter Center, which works to advance peace and health worldwide.


"Peace is more than just the absence of war." Okay, I agree so far.
"People everywhere seek an inner peace that comes from the human rights[?] to voice their views, choose their leaders, feed their families and raise healthy children." Oh. Hmm. I don't like to disagree with President Carter, but is that what peace really comes from, human rights?
If he used the word "peace" to mean "freedom from care or worry", then I guess I might be able to see his point. Not agree, per se, but I can see his point. But using the words " inner peace"? Hmm. I am not sure how to take that one, except that:

  • "But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." - John 14:26-27
  • "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace." - John 16:33
  • "Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand." - Romans 5:1-2
  • "The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace;" - Romans 8:6

So, now the question is, do you have "inner peace", as President Carter termed it? I have come to the conclusion that inner peace only comes after I have agreed with God about my sinful state, confess it to Him, and invite God to cleanse me from all unrighteousness. It is only as I learn to daily live by God's grace and in His Spirit that I have true peace.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Archive