Thursday, December 31, 2009

lemon curd

what do you all think of me trying to post a recipe a week? good idea? no?


This recipe is for a friend who asked for it a while back. I finally found it in my Grandma's recipe box written in her nursing shorthand, so here it is (translated from her shorthand so that you can read it too).

Lemon Curd
6 large lemons
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter cut into 12 pieces
6 eggs, beaten
Grate zest of 2 lemons. Mix with sugar. Squeeze lemons to make 1 cup juice. Heat juice, zest, sugar and butter in double boiler (if you don't have one you can make your own - like I did - using a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water making sure that the bowl does not touch the water) over simmering water until butter is melted. Add eggs and stir until thickened (about 20 minutes).
Pour into jars or bowl and cool.

This is lovely served with biscuits, scones, waffles or toast, and I have found a wonderful recipe for Lemon Curd Poppy Seed Bread from Williams-Sonoma that I want to share at some point.

1 comment:

becca said...

lovely! thank you, dear. i'll tuck it away for a rainy day. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Archive