Saturday, July 10, 2010

yesterday evening

"I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all."
-Laura Ingalls Wilder







Yesterday evening was a quiet time, just the four of us enjoying playing and being together. John sent me outside to take a walk after Emma was down. He stayed with Ian, and I took a stack of letters to the mail box.
It was a bit sticky outside (it seems to hardly ever be dry during July/August), but cool enough to be pleasant. And so pretty.
I'm so glad John told me to go out.
There is something about being out of doors that is refreshing for me. And John knows this.

As I walked I decided that when I get old I want to be the old lady on the street who has the garden that is overflowing with a profusion of old-fashioned flowers.
I want to spend my time tending it, being with my family, building into their lives and the lives of the younger women around me. 
I want to wear the slightly funky but ever so lady-like clothes.
I want to have pretty dishes to use everyday, especially when others stop in for coffee and something sweet.
In my old age I want to celebrate and enjoy the simple and sweet things that make up the days.
And if it is going to happen I need to cultivate that contentment and joy now.




2 comments:

Sarah said...

I love this post Liz! I'm so glad John sent you out to breath. At least that's what walks are for me! :)And you SO are going to be the sweet old lady with funky yet delicate cloths :) <3U!

Jane said...

Ohh, this brought the biggest smile to my morning!! Yes--so sweet!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Archive