Monday, December 17, 2007

Rememberances and Micah

I am still reading my way through the Old Testament, very slowly. This morning I was reading in Micah:



"Though all the peoples walk
Each in the name of its god,
As for us, we will walk
In the name of the LORD our God forever and ever."
-4:5



"But as for you, Bethlehem Ephrathah,
Too little to be among the clans of Judah,
From you One will go forth for Me to be ruler in Israel.
His goings forth are from long ago, from the days of eternity."
-5:2


"With what shall I come to the LORD
And bow myself before the God on high?
Shall I come before Him with burnt offerings ... ?
He has told you, O man, what is good;
And what does the LORD require of you
But to do justice, to love kindness,
And to walk humbly with your God?"
-6:6-8


As I come to this Christmas season, I am remembering just how great, how awesome, how amazing, and just how merciful and good He has been to me.
Last Christmas John and I had just begun our courtship. This Christmas we are engaged, and Anna and I are spending the season with the Smillie family. I have come to know a joy that I had heard existed, but never knew it was possible that it would actually come to me.
This year has been a roller coaster of ups and downs, one where God's magnificent provision has been made very obvious. Dad lost his job in June, and we have learned first hand (over and over) that our God is the One who owns "the cattle on a thousand hills."
I have known times of incredible spiritual dryness this year, but through them have come to know God in a deeper and fuller way.
There has been sorrow and pain this year, accompanied with uncertainty and grieving. One of my friends is spending this Christmas in Heaven, and, even though I am glad that she is no longer suffering, the place she left here on Earth is full of ache. It still brings tears.

God has been faithful. He has been extravagantly good.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Archive