Monday, June 11, 2007

Talking and Hearing


My dove in the clefts of the rock,
in the hiding places on the mountainside,
show me your face,
let me hear your voice;
for your voice is sweet,
and your face is lovely.
- song of solomon 2:14


What does God desire from us?
He wants to hear us.

This came through stronger than ever the other night as I was talking on the phone.
I realized that I did not spend two to three hours on the phone just so that I can talk about myself. I do not do it so that I can change that person to my way of thinking. I do not do it so that I can in any way control them or impose on their time.

I spend time on the phone so that I might know the other person, so that he might communicate his heart to me.

I know that God is omniscient, that He knows all things, even our hearts. But knowing a heart and having that heart opened up to you are two very, very different things.

I easily forget what I have said during the hours on the phone, but what he said sticks with me for a long time. I realized that a similar thing happens when I pray: I forget what I have brought before the LORD, but when He speaks .............. I remember. At least, most of the time. It made me think, do I treat God as the One Who loves me like no other and Who desires to be first in my affection? Do I see Him as being the One Love of my life Who is jealous of all others? Or do I see Him as .... God?


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Archive