Wednesday, July 27, 2011

just thinking

I've been thinking about a phrase someone I know said a few weeks ago: "God doesn't give you more than you can handle at a time, so that you won't lose faith and turn away from Him."

There was something about that phrase that really bothered me, but I didn't have the quickness of mind at the time to be able to put my finger on it and respond.
A  few weeks later, though (kind of shows how scatter brained I am at the moment) and I think I have.

As I see it, the problem with what she said is that God does give us more than we can handle. It's something that gives us opportunity to grow - grow in both our faith and in our character.
This growth is very important to Him, and even though we may think it's hard, He sees the potential outcome and knows that it will be worth the struggle.

When I am in the midst of struggles, hard or trying situations, frustration, hurt, grief or anger, it can be difficult to remember that God is still there. He is waiting and watching, ready to comfort or give wisdom - whatever we might need at the time - just as I wait and watch my own children figure out things.

I have faith, but it needs to grow in the trials. That growth only comes through God, though, not through anything that I can do. (Ephesians 2:8-9) It comes from turning to Him and crying, "Lord, I believe. Help me in my unbelief". (Mark 9:24)

I need a faith that believes God is who He is, not who I say or think He is. I need to believe that God is good in all things - even though the current situation may not seem to prove that. I need to believe that He is unchanging, compasstionate, holy, true, loving and forgiving, full of mercy, just.

He knows that even though I know so much about Him in my head, I still have areas of unbelief in my heart that are choking out faith. He and I both want me to walk in faith alone. And so He prunes out the unbelief. (John 15)
It hurts, but as I turn to Him in the midst of the pain and confusion, the unbelief is cast aside.

1 comment:

darcie said...

this is a good distinction, Lizzie; thanks for sharing your thoughts. Reminds me of 1 Corinthians 10:13; I use to think that when God knew I couldn't handle the struggle any longer, then he would airlift me to safety out of the struggle, but no. . . He is faithful and his grace provides a way through the trial so that I will be able to endure it, not sin and honor Him.
We'll keep trusting that He is ever faithful, no?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...