Sunday, March 02, 2008

the Judas in my heart


When evening came, Jesus was reclining at the table with the Twelve. And while they were eating, he said, "I tell you the truth, one of you will betray me." They were very sad and began to say to him one after the other, "Surely not I, Lord?" -Matthew 26:20-22


What is it to betray our LORD? I see
giving the focus and worship that belongs to anything else as betrayal. "Surely not I?" I stray from absolute worship so often. So terribly often. I allow little things, stupid things, to distract me from my LORD. When He beckons me toward Him, sometimes I do not even see. Because I am so preoccupied with "me", what "I want", or what "others think".
I allow those things to take His place. Sometimes even eagerly.

Then Judas, the one who would betray him, said, "Surely not I, Rabbi?" Jesus answered, "Yes, it is you."
-Matthew 26:25
It is. And yet, in spite of that, Jesus loves me, cares for me, died for me, rose for me, and stands before the Father for me as my Righteousness. In spite of my betrayal, He did all this for me.

While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, "Take and eat; this is my body." Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins."
-Matthew 26: 26-28

He knows me, even my tendency to betray Him, and yet offers Himself freely as my complete Righteousness.
Such is Love.

In response to this Love, I believe that I need to battle against the "Judas" in me, every moment of every day.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Archive